Monday, July 16, 2007

It always comes back to the food here...



Most restaurants here have food on display to lure in customers. They have glass cases of meat and fish and cooked dishes and vegetables that tantalize you as you walk by. The smell alone is torture when you're hungry. This is a charcoal rotisserie in front of one restaurant, Olympia. They slow-cook all their meats in here from sausage to chicken, lamb, rabbit and more.

A block or two away, I came across a crepe place where they're made fresh to order with ham and cheese, chocolate or your choice of filling.



This particular evening, I had another craving for lamb, and opted for a lamb and potato dish for about $9. It fell off the bone, and I was able to eat the whole thing with a plastic fork and no knife! I also had a piece of walnut cake, in syrup of course. Luckily I hiked a mile over the hill to and from the beach today and swam a little too!



High atop the hill where the Kastro walls are (dating to the 5th century BC!), there is another romantic outdoor overlook with a cafe and bar. Fresh squeezed lemon and orange juice and cold coffee frappe's are available as well as spirits. The view of the sea below is stunning.



Another evening, I decided to try the stuffed tomatoes that I see on all the restaurant menus.($7) Stuffed with rice and seasonings and swimming in olive oil and lemon juice, they did not disappoint. On the side, I was given roasted potatoes and onions in a rich broth. They were small, but larger than pearl onions.



Many nights, I get my food to-go so I can take it to a waterfront park bench and enjoy the view....

No comments: