Monday, July 9, 2007

A pleasant hike on a Sunday evening...

Last night after it cooled off, I took a nice hike through the valley behind the Ring Road. Winding trails led me past stone walls, lush vegetable gardens and chicken coops, along narrow roads lined with fruit trees (bay, lemon, & grapefruit) and through hillside olive groves.


I hiked up a very steep hill and found two small churches, Agios (Saint) Fanouris and Profitis Ilias (prophet Elijah).


Along the road back to town, I passed Episkopi, a fortified Venetian monastery abandoned & left unfinished when the Ottomans invaded in the 14th century AD. It has high walls and was intended to be the seat for the Bishop of Skopelos. It was later renovated and is now maintained as a private residence.

After my hike, I stopped at the Owl Bar and ordered their stuffed lamb & rice dinner to go, $11. I grabbed a chocolate dessert at the bakery and settled in on a waterfront bench to eat and people watch. As always, the food was delicious.

No comments: