Sunday, July 8, 2007

There's always something going on in Skopelos!

Last night, I was privileged to see some of the participating boats raft up from the exclusive Arrow Run International Performance Boat Rally. It's a 5-day annual event with boats from all over the world. Coincidentally, this year's course starts in Athens and winds through the Sporades Islands, Skopelos being one of them. Check out www.arrowrun.com. Most of these guys were from Amsterdam.



Unaffiliated with the boat rally, just up the way, a "little" yacht named Paris, hailing from Georgetown, Cayman Islands anchored up for the night. Not too shabby. And just my luck, it appeared to have a family (and large crew!) aboard instead of cute single guys ;-(




With my pauper's tail between my legs, I ambled off to have a cheap slice of pizza for dinner. Once again, the food here never ceases to amaze, even the pizza. I went to a great little place along the waterfront called Impasto. The crust was thin and the green peppers... well, let's just say that instead of being uniform cubes of rubber, they were long irregularly-shaped strips (should I be a food critic?) and tasted like they'd been grilled or sauted in butter before they even landed on the pizza. The ham, feta, and mushroom toppings were equally as fresh and delicious. Of course, the pizza was served in one of those glossy little cardboard boxes... so pretty you hate to throw it away.



I've finally realized that going to the town beach and eating out, at least one meal a day, are probably going to be my daily rituals here. I don't have a car or scooter to travel around the island and it's too hot for much hiking. (At some point, I WILL take the local bus to check out the other end of the island, do some easy hikes and try an all-day boat excursion to nearby islands & attractions) That being said, I guess you'll have to suffer through food commentary on a daily basis. Hope that's OK. With enough restaurants, tavernas and cafes to try a new one every day, it's really something I've come to look forward to, so I might as well share it with you!

No comments: