Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Another day, another 5 pounds ;-)

Yesterday, I decided to mozy into town around 11 a.m. and soon regretted it. The heat was awful, but I made the best of it and decided to have a hot, fresh spinach pie in flaky phyllo pastry, about $2. This would be my one meal out for the day, and FYI, phyllo, also spelled filo, means leaf in Greek.



Re-energized, I climbed the switch-back staircase to a cafe called Bpaxos where the tables with umbrellas provided shade and a stunning view.




The waterfront has a very different feel during the day. Shops, banks and businesses are opening their doors, food is being prepared, sidewalks are being swept, fisherman are untangling their nets, and locals and tourists alike are running their errands.


Here's the window of an upscale jewelry store with the harbor reflected in the background. Also, a photo of an elegant pottery shop...




By comparison, one of the tourist shops has typical Skopelos trinkets. There's not much shopping that falls in between these two alternatives.



As I climbed the hill towards home, I heard the familiar megaphone (notice it mounted on top of the truck) this time announcing the arrival of a produce truck in my local square. They had fresh watermelons, garlic and potatoes.

No comments: