Sunday, July 15, 2007

Small miracles

There's not much to report from yesterday except that I spent another beautiful day at the beach (Glyfoneri) with the refreshing Aegean Sea at my feet. As I walked to town to grab a pita for dinner, I saw something that I see every day here and have almost come to take for granted.



These beautiful, bright flowers sprout from tiny holes and cracks in the steps, all over town. Some of them grow to be very large bushes in a matter of months. The winters here are harsh, and the summers are hot and dry, so I guess they make the most of the growing season. I've seen them in fuscia and yellow.

Here are some miniature morning glories, growing in what appears to be the hardest driest clay on the planet.



After dinner, I passed by Aktaion Cafe and my waiter friend gave me a big "Hello America" (his nickname for me). He told me I'm getting so dark, I'll have to get a new passport photo before I leave ;-)

No comments: